About Free Rein

My photo
Spokane, WA, United States
Free Rein provides adaptive riding to individuals with physical, mental and emotional challenges. Through the rhythm, movement, and personality of a horse, a rider gains physical, mental, and social benefits. We are always looking for arena assistants, side-walkers and horse leaders. We have Orientations and trainings monthly. Call us at @ 979.1468 for more information.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Volunteer Spotlight

A Q&A with John Pardee... our Volunteer Spotlight  for the week:

Q: What brought you to Free Rein?
A: When I retired from the Sheriffs Dept I looked around for something to do that was of interest to me.  I am not usually a phone guy  or a reception office guy or wanted to be on call (red cross) so when I became aware of this organization it attracted my interest. [I] Like horses and kids.

Q: What makes you stay?
A: I have been volunteering several years now , started the tail end of the first year Sandy started, so I guess it has become a habit in some ways.  Enjoy seeing the horses and riders. (Usually take summers off to be with my family)

Q: Would you share a story from your time here?
A: I volunteered to do a promotion during the fair several years ago and the horses and riders had to do a figure eight type competition during a 4H event.  I was side walking during this event and suddenly discovered upon entering the arena that the dirt had been plowed soft and was about 6 inches deep.  Part of the event required us to trot and when we finished it I thought I was going to die!

Q: What is something that not many people know about you?
A: I am a Viet Nam vet , serving in 1968.  During my time there my Army Division was sent north to help the Marines at the Khe Sahn fire base.  Myself and two other soldiers were sent to operate radios on the fire base during the shelling and as far as I know we were the only First Cavalry soldiers on the marine base during part of the shelling.

Q: Who is your favorite horse?
A: Guess that would be Chester. I have only seen him act up once (when he was scared by a piece of machinery) and is always easy to work with.

Q: What is your favorite Free Rein event?
A: Guess that would be the dinner fund raiser.   Fun to look over the items up for auction and see familiar faces from the past that only seem to show up for the dinner fund raiser.

Thank you, John. Thank you for your service to Free Rein and your service to our country!

No comments:

Post a Comment